The criteria for nomination, according to the call for nominations, include:
- The nominee must have saved or attempted to save a life under adverse conditions.
- The event must have occurred away from the nominee's typical worksite and must not have been part of his or her defined work duties.
- The event must have occurred between July 1, 1998, and January 1, 2000.
- The nominee must have been licensed at the time of the event as an RN or LPN/LVN in any state or territory under U.S. jurisdiction.
- Self-nominations are permitted.
- The nominator does not have to be a nurse or affiliated with the American Red Cross or Nursing Spectrum.